Saturday, August 8, 2009

Restaurant Review: East Ocean, Winnipeg, MB

Although I've lived in a place like Vancouver, booming with asian culture, particularly Chinese...I have to admit my favorite Chinese restaurant remains right here in my home town of Winnipeg.
I first visited East Ocean on a late night with a friend and was instantly hooked. It was the place to go to after clubbing downtown. Open until 4 I think. Pretty sweet! The restaurant only seats up to 39 people but it doesn't even look like it'd seat that many inside. It's small, the decor is plain, bathrooms aren't very nice...but the food is FANTASTIC!
There's only ever been one or two people working the front. Maybe a man and his wife or sister? They're both really nice but the older man is my fav. I don't know his name but he's remembered me. Even after being away for a couple years he was like, "Hi! Long time no see!!". That right there solidified EO as my fav spot.
Every dish I've ever had has been great. I can honestly say I've never had anything bad there. My favorites are pictured above: deluxe fried rice, hot and sour soup and breaded beef.
The fried rice has this distinct flavor that I'm sure can only come from their woks that've been seasoned and used for years upon years. The hot and sour soup has the perfect amount of heat and sour flavor, filled with mushrooms, tofu, bbq pork, chicken and super duper thinly sliced bamboo. The breaded beef is hands down my fav. It's hard to ever go into the restaurant and not order it. It's extremely tender, not greasy, crunchy, cooked to perfection and when it first comes out - I always get this smell of..a carnival. Weird, right?
Other favorites include their honey spicy chicken, chow mein and shredded duck soup.
I never visit Winnipeg without frequenting this place a few times during my trip. So worth it.
Oh one warning is to be a little more cautious at night. East Ocean isn't located in the best area and last time I went there I was followed by a man under the influence of something to my car. It was a pretty startling experience but honestly wouldn't keep me from going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment